Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Ma, Look What I Got: Put a ring on it!

Here's what I'd like to know. What happens if you're eating an oyster and you find a pearl? I hear plenty of stories about severed fingers in taco meat or whatever, but what about finding something good?

I didn't find a pearl at a restaurant (and I won't, because I think oysters look like giant boogers and one is never getting anywhere near my face) but we did make a purchase:


I wasn't going to get a ring (since, you know, I just got one during my wedding), but there you are. The ring itself is is of little consequence here, since the way I got it was so cool. The Pearl Factory is a normal-looking jewelry kiosk, with bright lights and a friendly salesperson. And big bowls of oysters! That's right, I picked my own pearl. Well, I picked an oyster. Then the guy opened it, dug out the pearl, and set the jewelry right in front of me. Insta-ring!

You can buy pre-set items either at a store or online, but it's better to go the pick-an-oyster route. An oyster is $14.99 and settings start at either $9.99 online or $20 in-store. The most expensive setting is $800-something. By comparison, they sell some pre-made things that cost a few grand. If you're feeling especially thrifty, you could always wait for one to show up in your food, but I'd rather shell out the $15 and save myself the slime.

1 comment:

  1. Very cute, and so retro. Very you!

    ReplyDelete