Thursday, August 27, 2009

Miscellaneous: Close Call

Our house is messy. Well, I suppose it's not really a house so much as a condo, but whatever. It ain't clean, is my point. Today I snapped and spent the morning tidying up. At one point, I had to decide if I was going to stop working and take the train into the city, or if I wanted to keep playing Susie Homemaker for an additional hour and a half and just drive. It's a lot cheaper to take the train, but I was in stride (plus it was raining again and I didn't really want to walk in it), so I chose to eat my parking costs and drive.

It turned out to be a better decision than I realized, because cops opened fire in an intersection I walk through everyday when I take the train. From what I've heard and read since, a panhandler was trying to steal somebody's purse and pulled out a knife. The cops tried to subdue him with pepper spray, but it only made the panhandler stab one of the officers. You can guess how the rest went.


So, I'm rattled. Even though this is the city, shootings don't typically happen in this neighborhood (the Loop), and they certainly don't happen on State Street (which is one of two shopping districts you might have heard of; the other is Michigan Avenue, about a mile north).

I don't really know what to say now, except for the cliched "This feels like something out of a movie," so I'll take that as my cue to find you some deals.

Everybody stay safe.

(Photo: Chicago Tribune)

1 comment:

  1. I hear you! Things like this don't happen here either, like the pipe bomber attack at the high school where I went, and where I was planning on sending my kids....

    ReplyDelete