Friday, October 29, 2010

Holi-Daze: My Won-Won

Whew! After about 6 hours of sewing and fabric-gluing, I finally finished our costumes last night. We don't need them until Saturday, which is probably for the best because I'm sure I'll need to re-attach something. I did use more glue than thread toward the end.

As a reminder, we're going as Ron and Hermione at the Yule Ball. Here's Mr. Weasley now to jog your memory:


I'm not gonna lie, I TOTALLY bit off more than I could chew with this one. Have you ever tried to make a ruffly... chest warmer? It's hard. Neigh on impossible--especially for someone like me who doesn't have a sewing machine. (I KNOW. What. Was. I. Thinking?)

So after I wasted about a yard of fabric trying to re-create the ruffles, I decided to alter my plan. This was going to be an interpretation of Ron's dress robes. If my gown was going to be an interpretation (or, a correction of the movie's mistakes), then so would this. So without further ado, the modernization of Won-Won:


Even though it's considerably different looking, all three of The Dress Robes Criterion are met: we have lace, we have multiple patterns, and we have a suit that doesn't fit. Let's take a closer look at the fabrics:


Black pinstriped suit, navy and orange plaid shirt, brown floral tie, lacy collar made of doilies, and a tan plaid pocket square. Very unfortunate indeed. Oh! And we can't forget the wands!


These were a great deal. I wasn't going to make Hubsey carry one, so I just picked a cheap-o $7 option for myself from Etsy. And because of a shipping delay, the seller included another one for free! Score!

I'll show you the Hermione costume on Monday, post-party, so you can get the full effect with the updo.

How are your costumes coming? Are you done? Did you end up doing an interpretation, too? Do tell.

3 comments:

  1. Knowing your abhorence for all costumes store-bought, I offer up DD's half-bought/half made-and-thrown-together costume: Vampric Bride of Darkness. Bought the dress, brought it home and chopped off the sheer sleeves she didn't like. Dress pinned to a black spaghetti-strap cami to hold it up. Dress covered by a spider-web lace jacket she's used for dress-up for years. Veil also a la dress-up: left-over spider-web lace sleeve from some costume of mine I can't even remember. Bridey garland hand made by yours truly from black flowers, black roses and silver leaves with spider-web ribbon. All finished last night, just in time for the Halloween parade at school! Oh, and store-bought vampire teeth. A good combo, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was an Egyptian on Monday (same costume as from junior high) and random Slytherin student for work today. One of the marketing directors asked if I was Harry Potter. I said no, this is his enemy's t-shirt. Then she said, "Oh, you're Voldemort." I declined to explain further. Luckily then an IT guy asked what character I was, and of course he understood. Hooray for the IT department.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue, I think that's more than half-made! It sounds like the only thing you didn't alter/make was the teeth!

    Spanglerjl: Some people at the party last night didn't understand how I was Hermione if I was wearing blue. So I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete