Friday, December 3, 2010

Gift Guide: Horcrux Edition

There's a fair chance that at least one person in your life is a Harry Potter fan, and unless they're dropping the big bucks for stuff from the Noble Collection, all HP merch is pretty much the same.  A t-shirt with Harry's/Ron's/Voldemort's face on it.  A backpack with the Hogwarts crest.  A Slytherin keychain.  It's all fine, there's nothing inherently WRONG with any of it, but it's been done.  A zillion times.  So let's do something a little special for the final send-off (since there's only half a movie left, you know).

May I present, The Gift Guide... Horcrux Edition.

What the heck is a horcrux?  It's a piece of Voldemort's soul that's hidden inside an object!  You see, Voldie went on an immortality kick when he was young and split his soul into seven pieces, essentially giving himself seven lives because each piece would have to be destroyed if you wanted to kill him.  (SPOILER! Can ya guess what Harry is doing in the last movie?)


First, a hand-stitched leather notebook to represent Tom Riddle's diary.  If you wanted to be hardcore, you could stab yours with a basilisk fang, too, but I think I'd just write in it.  $17.99.


I'm pretty sure Marvolo Gaunt's ring was supposed to be on the ugly side, but I'd be remiss if I did that to you.  A modern version with obsidian and 14K gold is more of an investment piece at $188, but maybe you're looking to spoil that special witch in your life.


Then there's Salazar Slytherin's locket.  For the sake of versatility, this one doesn't feature a large S--or the pesky bit of You-Know-Who.  It's also a great deal, because it comes with an 18" chain for only $13.


Helga Hufflepuff's useless decorative cup always reminded me of a sugar bowl.  This one, for $12.95, is large enough to double as a vase.


Since wearing a crown in your everyday life might get you some weird looks, a subdued version of Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem might be better.  Beaded applique headband, $21.99.

I can't recommend that you get an ACTUAL snake to represent Nagini, Voldemort's beloved pet.  Let's try something symbolic instead, like this:


A faux snakeskin purse.  And a sassy one, to boot!  $49.

For those keeping track, we're up to six horcruxes.  The seventh piece is in Voldemort's body (to keep it alive!), and it's a little difficult to find a wearable version of the most evil wizard in history without going back to the boring, predictable merch we want to avoid.  Same with the eighth--spoiler!--horcrux... the one inside Harry!  (GASP!  If there's one inside Harry, how can he destroy them all?)

So there you have it.  Are you a superfan, too?  Perhaps you know somebody who is?  What's the most creative/unusual merchandise you've seen for a book or movie?

3 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud when I saw the theme of this post. I applaud the selection. I suggest removing the Harry spoiler, though... I know you're proud of your prediction, but some people might still want to read it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great! What creativity. I love every piece, especially the 'crown' and the sugar bowl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psh, I'm not removing it. There are so many other things to predict/worry about when you're reading HP for the first time. But maybe I'll put a spoiler alert...

    MME, thanks! I thought it up as I was seeing the latest movie. I'm a fan of the "crown" too.

    ReplyDelete