Tuesday, December 28, 2010

On the Cheap: Kindling

Welp, so much for my plan to get back in the swing of things!  I intended to come back on the map yesterday, but I was still incapacitated from a nasty stomach bug I picked up sometime on Christmas.  Three hours after we got home I was introducing my face to the toilet bowl.  Awesome!  But Hubsey was a good nurse--with the hair-holding, water-fetching, and soup-making--so that made it much easier.

And now I'm back!  Back and lookin' for a good deal on one of THESE:


Well, I already have a Kindle.  But now I need a cover, because my poor baby is running around naked and we can't have that.


I like this one because I wouldn't have to hold the Kindle while I'm trying to eat.  And since I eat about 50% of the time I'm reading, this is great. It's also made from eco-leather, which I had never heard of until right now, but I guess it skips the typical dyeing and tanning process so there are fewer chemicals on it.  So that's good.  It's also among the cheaper covers at $29.99.


If I'm gonna get a "real" color, I'm getting purple.  This one will also make it feel more like I'm reading a book, which I do kind of miss already.  $34.99.


There's always the sleeve option, as well.  I'm not particularly concerned about protecting my Kindle since it lives in my purse or on the coffee table, so a big leather cover might be overkill.  Plus, a sleeve is the most affordable contender. $14.99.

I'll let you know what I decide.  Heck, maybe I'll make one!  I did get a new sewing machine for Christmas...

What sort of Kindle/e-reader cover do you have?  Do you roll the dice and leave yours naked?  Are you blastpheming me for abandoning paper? (I do feel a little traitorous, but the Kindle is SO TINY.  Like a kitten.  Don't hate a kitten.)

5 comments:

  1. Hey! Do you want one of those tripod-like covers? I have one that I never use because I liked the whole "hold it like a book" thing. It's not purple, but it'd be free, which is something I know you like almost as much as purple. I think it's a beautiful brilliant turqoise. Let me know....haha, good luck because I'm anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, I just had a thought. The turqoise thing is for a Kindle 2, but since it just has little loops to hold it in, it should hold a Kindle 3. I'll test it and let you know when my Kindle 3 arrives TONIGHT!!! woo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I could get used to reading books on a screen. I love the feel of books in my hand and the sound the paper makes when I turn a page.

    Don't worry, I won't hate you though. :)

    It's never fun to be sick, but it seems worse over the holidays (I'm still recovering - currently on day 6.) I'm glad you're feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous: hmmm, I DO like free almost as much as I like purple. Be sure to share how the K3 fits in the K2 holder... Then we can chat.

    Rebekah: I wasn't sure I'd like reading books on a screen either, but it's actually not so different. Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paige! I didn't realize the kindle 3 was so much smaller than the kindle 2. It won't stay within the elastic loops :(

    Maybe I'll have to share it with Julia....but she has the old red one that the kindle 2 was in, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete